Friday 20 February 2009

All pieced and basted, with nowhere to go!


I have worked pretty hard this week to create my latest quilt with the most gorgeous fabrics designed by Anna Griffin called the Lulu collection. The design is pretty basic with squares within a bordered frame. I managed to cut, piece and baste this quilt within a few hours over two days. The plan was to be able to practice my free motion quilting with this one - free-hand flowers and loops. Plans didn't go according to plan however. I have spent the past two hours and used up lots of scraps trying to get the thread tension just right. My Janome Memory-Craft 6600, is not cooperating and had I not sat down to write this post then I may just have come to blows with the machine.


I have cleaned it inside and out, put in a new needle and she is still not happy. I have been on the phone to the service centre, who were very happy helpful but suggested having it looked at by a sewing machine engineer. I'm at my wits end! I can sew on her no problem with other feet and the tension is fine but free-hand quilting causes utter melt-down. Does anyone else have a similar problem with their machine. I would be very grateful for any advice!!!
I may just have one more go - maybe it's the thread i'm using ....

6 comments:

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I wish I could help...but I have no idea about Janomes. Hopefully someone might have a suggestion... Hope you find a solution soon.

Betsy said...

email Bonnie from Quiltville, I think she just purchased this machine.

Julie said...

an obvious question.....
you are remembering to drop your feed dogs and adjusting the lower tension?
julie

Christina D said...

I have a 6500 and I need to set my upper tension to 7 when I free motion,
otherwise I get loops on the underside when I sew a curly-que.

Lynda said...

My machine is an Elna (made by Janome) and I must say, it's a question of trial and error. I had problems at one time, but the advice about having the foot down is very sensible - it's easy to forget - and the other is to remember that it's a balancing act between the top and bottom tension: if one is too slack, the other is too tight. If all else fails, use the same colour thread on the top and bottom, and nobody will know the tension's not perfect!

ferne said...

I was having a similar problem and read that using a straight stitch plate helps this. I just ordered one so I will have to give free motion a go again once I receive it. I am also going to sign up for a class though by the looks of things on your blog you are quite experienced and have already figured out your problem. I am enjoying reading your blog as this is my first visit.

Congradulations on your beautiful wedding!