Monday 31 December 2012

A few of my favourite things ...

I'm taking advantage of my last days of pregnancy and trying to keep active and busy as much as possible.
Part of my day revolves around keeping on crafting - possibly knowing that craft will be the last thing on my mind when I have a new baby to look after.

Neckwarmer pattern Love Crochet Dec Special Issue
I needed a new crochet project and found something I fell instantly in love with:
this neckwarmer looked amazing and the instructions looked fairly manageable for a novice like me. 


The first hurdle was trying to locate the wool that the pattern recommended. I found two websites: one in Malta and one in the UK, both currently out of stock of the colour in the picture.
It is important to add at this point that I am terribly impatient and was not prepared to wait until stock was replenished.

Thus I set off for my local wool shop!!
I managed to find this wool: Patons Fab Big in cream which I hoped would work.

The wool required a much smaller hook than the one in the pattern so I have had to adapt the pattern.
It isn't as large as it should be, and I had to start with a longer chain of scallops and then decrease the number of stitches by crocheting in alternate chain stitches.



It took me one evening to make it and even though its nothing like the picture I'm really pleased with it. 
Its super warm and soft and I love it.
I may have to now order some of the recommended wool, in a colour that is in stock so I can have one for another coat!!


Better still I had excess wool and managed to crochet a simple scarf that took me less than 2 hours!!
I've pretty much amazed myself that I only taught myself to crochet a year ago and I've learnt enough to pretty much make things up as I go along.
 Todays project was to make a hot water bottle cover for bottles I bought over 2 years ago and intended to make up as gifts. 
I'm putting these away in a 'present box' I keep in the loft for those times when I need a gift for someone and have no time to make anything.

This one is vintage inspired with some beautiful fabric I've had forever, lace and ribbon give it an extra twist.



One I made a few days ago with some Christmas fabric. 


I also created a little cross stitch hoopie art to go in the baby's nursery.


I wish you all a Happy, healthy and creative year ahead. 
2012 has been a funny old year for me. 
It started painfully but has ended on a high as I await my little one.
2013 promises to be a great year xxx

1 comment:

Lynda said...

Happy New year to you, Caroline! For a gifted creative person like you, I'm sure you'll find time to make things even after the baby's arrival! (When are you due, by the way?)